Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Christmas memory...........in snowbound Oklahoma



A group of bloggers were asked this month "What are your favorite Christmas Memories"and though most of my Christmas's have included beautiful trees, delicious food, sparkles everywhere, many relatives, and tons of effort the absolute best Christmas memory I have doesn't include any of those things, not one ornament, not one tree light. In fact, it was the quietest Christmas anyone could possibly have, but then again that crazy Mother Nature was involved and you know what happens when she gets going. We still chuckle when we mention "the Christmas in Oklahoma" in 2009, the year our son was on rotation in Tulsa and couldn't come home so we went there, the year the state had their snowstorm of the century, the one where the whole state came to a standstill. Canadians are used to their blizzards, heck we actually kind of like them now and again but Oklahoma doesn't have snowstorms and road-clearing machinery, homeowners don't have shovels, and the whole city was on lockdown for days after the snow had stopped falling. We barely made it out for Christmas dinner (I was determined) and as we traveled down the uncleared, treacherous highway for our Christmas dinner in a friend's 4-wheel drive to a downtown restaurant that I had carefully reserved months ahead (it was also a hotel so all the wait staff had stayed overnight) all I could think was that we were going to spin out of control, be stranded, and no one would know for days, at least until the snow melted. After that tense and dangerous ride, we mostly stayed put in our son's apartment, lined up on his small sofa watching goofy holiday movies, laughing, and watching Oklahoma residents unsuccessfully dig out from under all that snow. I guess in the end that what it means to me is that Christmas is mostly about being with your family, small or large, and sometimes you have to do it differently to help them along and that's alright. We were together. That's all that mattered. 



To read  Christmas stories from other bloggers in the By Invitation Only 
group please go here.





Photos from here

21 comments:

  1. That's such a lovely story and really shows that Christmas doesn't have to be about all out "bling" and presents and parties. It can be quiet and simple as long as you have the important people with you. Btw, Londoners can't cope with snow either ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely story...as you say it's about being with your family and where you are doesn't really matter as you proved...I think it sounds like a wonderful Christmas.
    Wishing you a very Happy Christmas full of JOY and perhaps a little less snow ;-)
    Catherine
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a beautiful story! Greeting from S. CA on this Tuesday. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sande, I know you pulled this together quickly, but it certainly does not show. What a wonderful story. Cannot imagine you having difficulties with anything, so this made me smile a lot. Yes, I completely agree about being with the family. This is family time X10. You are such a lovely woman, creating beauty where ever you go...even Oklahoma !! Merry Christmas ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. All we want for Christmas is to be together... so true... after all it is what counts and it is what we mothers live for... xv

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh loved reading this Sande...what a memory. It's funny how when things go wrong, togetherness comes to the fore and is remembered!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more with you Sande! Having just come back from a hop, skip and a jump from you I know that the weather is not what matters, being together does. :) I thought of you so much on one of my last nights in Ann Arbor for Midnight Madness and Hollander's was open until the wee hours. That must be one of your favorite spots, non?
    Thank you for the lovely post,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sande,
    I loved reading your special memory of Christmas .......isn't it great to read all of the different stories of the 'By Invitation' participants ? .....everyone has a different story to tell.
    Many thanks for your lovely comment today and sorry that I haven't been around much lately. Ever since I have had my new computer, I don't seem to have got into the same routine that I had with my old one !! Here's hoping that I get back on track in 2013 !!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being together is all that matters!! I moved to Tulsa from The Woodlands Texas in 2010................Feb. 1, 2011 Tulsa had the worst blizzard in recorded history! Lucky us! But, at the same time it was wonderfully beautiful. I actually look forward to snow as I think it is so peaceful to see it coming down. I cook like crazy - oh and gain weight as well. Now, keep in mind those who need to get to work most likely do not share the same sentiments about snow as I do!!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely inspirational Sande and just wanted I need to read this holiday season. Our Dec. will be far from perfect with very few decorations and no tree. It's hard to see everyones gorgeous decorating and thinking of those years where I felt like Martha Stewart on too much Starbucks. But..what really matters is that we'll be home with our kids in the states. We fly home Christmas eve - Aberdeen to Paris and Paris to Minneapolis & Minneapolis to Portland, OR. Yes..some 18 hrs. later and on Dec. 24th we will celebrate at my father's home. He's 81 and will be cooking for 19 of us. Now that IS Christmas. Thank you Sande! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sande,
    I bet Christmas in Oklahoma was one of your son's favorite too! Most kids in college arrive home for the holidays bleary-eyed from finals so I'm sure he was so appreciative to have mom and dad "camping out" with him and riding out the storm. Thanks so much for sharing your "different" kind of Christmas Sande.
    Love your collage too!
    XO Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sande, So enjoyed reading this posting. Christmas in Oklahoma, oh what a memory. Sometimes those are the best, just being together as a family is most important, making do, everything else can come later. I think we'll be having one of those Christmas' this year unfortunately. Thank you for reminding me of what most important. Blessings and have a beautiful Christmas with your family this year, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep seeing you on sites that I like. I am so glad that I checked you out. Great minds think alike. I think I just might FOLLOW!
    -The Keeper of the Little Red Diary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing how the holiday brings people together. Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Sandra,

    I follow your blog very often as well as your Pinterest bords, all of such exquisite and grand elegance!
    It is a real pleasure every time.

    I wanted to ask you fir the perission to copy a few of your pictures of Gift Wrapping in my blog IrresistibleParis as I am posting on Gift Wrapping.
    Please do have a quick look at my blog so that you can be sure that you agree on the quality .
    Of course I will refer to you and tour blog and your Pinterest boards.

    Have a lovely evening!

    Fidji from IrresistibleParis

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Sande, a wonderful memory for your family. These are the cherished times!

    Love & Hugs
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    $75 NOVICA Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sande,

    So true all that matters is hugs, kisses, laughs and giggles. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    Bette

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved your Oklahoma Christmas Memory because I live in Oklahoma and it was a horrible snowstorm! We all survived and have many memories!

    Thanks for sharing! And if you want to know, we are to get the same blast this Christmas Day! We are hopefully a little more prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas filled with lots of joy and warmth!
    Big Christmas hug from Lene

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great memories for a lifetime. You're right the best thing about the holidays is being together, in rain sleet or snow.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a lovely addition to my day. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails